Oh, I'm definitely with you, Slithy! Not only is there meaning in the text as conceived by the writer's own intent, but also in how the writer conceives of the text being received by various individuals and categories of people.

Don't we all do that when we write here to those we know better than others? I have a pretty good idea of how something absurd I've written will be received by one member, and also another idea of how it would be ill-received by another based on responses in the past I've read in both PM's and board posts. Such knowledge causes me (at times, when I'm being good) to modify what I've written. And then we all have a sense about the body of completely unknown readers here: we take into consideration what someone brand new to the board might think when taking a look at our chantings here.

So, what I'm getting at is there's meaning in the text as the general message of what the writer wishes to convey, but the writer takes into account the ears of various audiences and reforms, edits, sits back and chews on a phrase or word for a while, and then modifies if he/she gives a lick about reaching anyone.