...shouldn't that be rogue? - WW

Wordwind, wordwind, wordwind, do you think that I, the themilum, would make a stupid mistake so as to confuse rouge with rogue? Ha! Maybe when Capistrano comes back to the swallows. But in a perverse sort of way I am glad that it was you what sprung my malaprops trap. My awareness of your school-teaching correctness has always caused me pause when I would prepare to click -[SEND]. What was was I had written myself into a box and was left with no smooth way to include an excluded, but important, fact about dolphins. Hence I dangled the apparent misspelling rouge before your ever-watching eyes, like a worm on a hook, for bait. Now if you will allow me...

Scientists have devised tests to establish intelligence in animals. Creatures are welcomed into the elite club of super-intelligent species if they can pass a simple self-awareness test during which an animal must recognize itself in a mirror. Humans, chimpanzees, and orang-utans can do it, but monkeys cannot. The tests involve putting a dab of red paint on their face. (rouge) Chimpanzees quickly see that the paint is on themselves and touch it, but monkeys simply look behind the mirror for the other monkey. The results with dolphins have been inconclusive: vision is not the dolphins primary sense, so it is difficult to interpret results of the rouge test in an animal that has no limbs with which to explore its body. Even so, in tests dolphins were seen to use the mirror to examine marks put on their bodies.

NOTE:
There are no malaprop hooks in this posting...at least, I don't think. - - mw