M-W10th says pumps--(2)[[from the Fr. colloq., pompeboot, shoe, lit. a shoe that pumps in the water! ]]a low cut shoe with out straps or ties. pumps are similar to what in the UK is a man's dress shoe,(ie, what in US is called black tie, or tux shoe) only with a heel!

how about brogues-- a gaelic word going back to the IE (see breech) the word meant leg covering, but now means a heavy work shoe, or an heavy oxford with decorative perforations and a wing tip.

ok-- why are solid lace on shoes called oxfords (why not cambridges?) and Wing tips? and what about Ghillies?

and sneakers.. ( in my youth, the sneaker of choice, hi-black cons--high black Converse (brand) basketball shoes.. made from black canvas, not really a shoe) or desert boots.. (a low,(ankle high) lace on boot, made from split skin, or suede, in a light tan color, with gum soles..

my kid's wore engineers boots and dr. martins.. i still like keds the best of any sneaker (trainer) style..

and what are the mexican shoes, the ones of woven leather, (begins with an H...the beachboys named them in one of their songs..)
we had great fun with all the names of zori/flip-flop/thongs. i am sure we all know more words for shoes than we realize.. and i wonder if we all mean the same thing.. lets find some words, (include links to commercial sites if needed to illustrate -- just so long as you don't work there, or end up shilling the shoes!)