Thanks, Emanuela, for frigorifero. Probably "fero" means something along the lines of "to make," I would guess.

But "fero" makes me think of a fire, so in a whimsical mental response to frigorifero, I think of a refrigerated fire. This is just whimsy, however.

By the way, since "fero" is out here for discussion, I'll mention that ferrophiliac from the Hogwash I didn't carry through, meant an amateur with a keen interest in railroads. Ferrophiliac wasn't to be found in any standard dictionary that I had access to, but it was found in The Random House Word Finder, a book with very long lists on a variety of subjects, including transportation. That's where I spotted ferrophiliac--but the ferro here meant iron.

So, Mulligan Stew is just about anything you'd make it, huh? It sounds as hearty and perfect for fall and winter as does that New England dish, Red Flannel Hash, which I understand is what New Englanders do with the remainder of their corned beef the night after they've had the traditional New England dinner of corned beef, potatoes and cabbage. Whenever we have corned beef, potatoes and cabbage here at the farm, there's never enough left over for Red Flannel Hash, so I've never had it. I understand beets are one of the ingredients in Red Flannel Hash.

Sorry to get off track...

Beef regards,
WW