ReI would have liked to ask her why the females never made any effort to found a science of obstetrics, never getting beyond being midwives with no effort to record cases, accumulate knowledge, and know how to treat difficult cases.

How do you know they didn't? most of what the midwive's knew was total ignored by men. and the catholic church and other powers that be encourged the destruction of midwifes, and their knowlegde, since they also know about birth control, and abortions.

Many of the "treatments" for difficult cases, are so unnatural, so intrusive, so removed from woman, and the woman being in control of the birthing experience, the mid wifes wouldn't have used them any way.

i had to fight in 1973/1976 for the right to natural childbirth. (an anethesteiolgist was called "just in case" i had to pay for his time, and he attempted to give me 'gas'--when i ripped off the mask, he asked my doctor if i need to be restrained! he told me i didn't know what i was doing, he was helping me.. He (the anethetist) just presumed because he was the doctor, he knew better than me.
I had perfectly normal vaginal deliveries, i had no real complications. yes, there was pain, but by the time you got to the delivery room, 90% of the pain was in the past.. and now, at the last minute, they want to knock me out, and steal from me, the end result? My OB/gyn knew better, he told the guy, he was listening to me, and he wasn't going to do anything contrary to my wishes.. and so i remained awake, alert, and i gave birth.. consciously bringing forth my children.
many doctors have attitudes is so different from mid wives attitudes, and womans attitudes.

the newest trend is to birth with out even midwives.