Nice one, tsuwm. I was just about to look for something to back up my view that left-wing and right-wing originated in the French National Assembly - my untidy memory at work again.

However, the continuation of the usage of the words and the seating of the parties in assemblies in other countries is interesting, particularly since England would have had a fit were one to suggest, in the late eighteenth century, that their seating arrangements were copying those of those dastardly cads, the French.

Relax, you USns, my memory also suggests that Congress' seating doesn't copy the English parliamentary arrangements. It was a deliberate nod to the French, who, your history lessons will no doubt tell you, were much admired by Jefferson and co.

The Red and Blue are also explained by the French tricoleur, but you had probably already guessed that.

I've never heard "out of pocket" used in the sense that someone can't be reached. I find it rather difficult to believe that it's used that way by anyone!

The idiot also known as Capfka ...