Dr bill, about being insulted (by being seated below the salt)- maybe, but maybe not.

i am a sponsering member of a local museum (ie, i give them a pot of money) they, in return, invite me to some some of the posh events at the museum, and frequently ask me for more money.

as some of the events, there are special (hidden) goings ons,(--very discrete, but still going on). do i feel insulted that i am not part of them? Nah. i give a pot of money cause i really like the museum, and what it does. and once in a while, i get to rub shoulders with the upper crust of NY society.
should i want, i could do more.. why last year, they invited me to the fall gala, a dinner dance. i could have come with date, (only $1000 per person!) or i could have bought a whole table for 10 of my nearest and dearest, for $10,000, or fancier tables for up to $50,000 (still just 10 guests)To bad you all don't live in NY-- i might have invited you!

do you think that the floral displays are the same on each table? or do you think they are different? and how much time does the president of the museum spend at the $10,000 table? and at the $50,000 table?

i never feel slighted at these functions, and yet, i am aware, there are goings on i am not privy too, and important people i never meet.
i think is fun and privledge, to be part, even at a distance,of the goings on.

Should, Queen Elizabeth, or Queen Betrice of the Netherlands, or any other monarch of the day invite me to a state dinner, and seat me below the salt, i would also feel privledged.

i know my place.. class is not the same here as in England, but we all know, $50,000 donors are treated differently than $500 donors.