Perhaps stales, or jazzo, might have some information on this?

I don't know too much about adobe construction as it's not used much around here in sporadically rainy Ohio. The buildings traditionally associated with them were pueblos, named after the Pueblo "Indians" of the Southwest US. I've always liked that maze-like construction of interconnected houses. It's similar to the building type used in ancient cultures elsewhere in the world, like Catal Huyuk, in present-day Turkey. The only entrances to the rooms were near the ceilings and accessed with ladders. Having the doors up there helped with ventilation, but it was mainly because stacking the buildings among each other made the whole more structurally sound and had some defensive advantages. A town could easily corner an invader, but the residents of the invaded room were pretty much stuck as well.

One interesting word related thing I remember was a Final Jeopardy question a few years ago, a name for a dwelling that is an anagram of a material that it might be made of: abode, adobe.

My most frequent encounter with adobe, though, is the company by that name, which Hev alluded to. They produce such illustrious software as Photoshop, Illustrator, In Design and Acrobat.