Re: Instead, they are, perhaps, the most respectful of all peoples of individual privacy

True, and yet not quite. My sister lives there.. the first months, all the old woman in the neighborhood, quitely, and politely, but repeated corrected her..

No, garbage cans are put out till noon, the trashmen come at 1 PM... , Why don't you ever have plastic bags of batteries on the first monday garbage pick up? You're not just putting them in the trash are you? You cut your hedge in the morning, but didn't rake till after lunch...

Slowly and methodically they trained her to local standards.. and they were not shy.

meanwhile, traveling to downtown tokyo, (she lives in outskirts) was a daily ordeal.. frequently she was touched and fondled.. we grew up in NY, and we know how to ride subways here, but in Japan she was constantly subjected to fondling. so the idea of respect of individual privacy, doesn't quite extend to woman in the subway.. eventually she met other ex-pats, and learn some behaviour tricks, and how to stop it. (verbelly say stop.)

i am no pin up gal, and when i went to japan, i too was fondled on the subway.. gai jin aren't real people to many japanese, and don't need to be accorded any respect.