It shore sounded to me as though you were trying to say a berm ain't at the shore

Nice pun! If I were saying that, I'd be clearly wrong.

I'm jest sayin' that a berm "ain't necessarily at the shore" -- in fact, most berms aren't there. "Berms", under all but one of AHD's definitions, can be away from shore. (As you note in contrast, a tide pool is, of course, always by definition on the shore.)

To "shore up" our mutual wordplay, here are some "shore" words, new to me, that I stumbled upon. The "shore" is apparently divided into backshore and nearshore:

--backshore: The area of shore lying between the average high-tide mark and the vegetation, affected by waves only during severe storms.
--nearshore: The region of land extending from the backshore to the beginning of the offshore zone.

But it gets even more confusing. Since "nearshore" extends to the start of the "offshore zone", it seems to includes some land that is always submerged. That is, "nearshore" does not end at the water's edge:

--offshore (noun): The ... submerged land extending seaward from beyond the region where breakers form to the edge of the continental shelf.
--breaker zone:: The nearshore zone between the outermost breakers and the area of the wave uprush. Also called surf zone.

[all definitions per bartleby; emphases added]