A thanks to all for the very refreshing discussion here! The mention of a newbie's area does, I'll admit, bring a twinkle to my eye, because there is that period of shyness mentioned by myself, and many others along way, due to the Intimidation Factor. I know it took me at least a month or two of reading along before I summoned the courage to even attempt a post (and another couple of months before I felt confident enough to start posting regularly), and we've heard like stories from many others. And, so, I suspect there are still many who endlessly wallow in the the limbo of this Intimidation Factor, not because they're content with being a read-along "Lurker", but because they can never get up the nerve to join in next to many of the super-intellects that appear here (pros such as tsuwm, NicholasW, Bingley, and others...from whom I've gratefully learned volumes about the world of linguistics, thanks! ); or they don't know how to break into the friendly frivolity of such a high-pitched intellectual discourse.
Still others may follow along in this Intimidation Period for months, and then just disappear altogether, frustrated they can't find a spot, or get up the courage, to make their break into the stream of things. So I suspect we lose a lot of potential contributors in this manner. Because, unless you open a private dialogue with someone (which you probably won't do unless you start posting), there's no way of knowing that all levels of input are welcome here, and that everybody adds something to the discussion in their own way. By just reading along, unless you're a dedicated "Lurker", you tend to focus on the more cerebral aspects of the threads, at least I did, and talk yourself out of ever having the dexterity to enter into these conversations. Of course, a few days' perusal of Wordplay & Fun would certainly soften anyone's uncomfortability! But I came here for the words after susbscribing to the Daily Word...so I went right to Q & A, Misc., and other word discussions like "Eponyms". I'm not sure a new members area is the answer, but it, or something akin to it, to help channel and ease folks through this initial Intimidation Factor is, I think, an idea whose time has come!

The Only WO'N!