I live in Lexington, Kentucky but I was born 12 miles north in Georgetown, Kentucky.

Georgetown is the home of Georgetown College, a small Baptist college of about 1000 students. My father is retired from the faculty there, having taught studio art there 1965-2000. Georgetown is also the home of the Toyota Camry. The town has changed quite a bit since the Toyota factory came, as you can imagine. In the 1700-1800's Georgetown was in Bourbon County, but Scott County (where Georgetown is) split off from Bourbon Co. some while back. Georgetown is the birthplace of Bourbon whiskey, which was first made by the man who founded the town and the college, Elijah Craig. Ironically, Criag was a Baptist minister. There is a brand of Bourbon named after him, but it isn't made in Scott County and it isn't really one of the better ones anyway.

My father and I like to fish in the Elkhorn Creek, which meanders through rural Scott County. The Elkhorn is mentioned in Walt Whitman's "Song of Myself"

One of the Nation of many nations, the smallest the same
and the largest the same,
A Southerner soon as a Northerner, a planter nonchalant
and hospitable down by the Oconee I live,
A Yankee bound my own way ready for trade, my joints the
limberest joints on earth and the sternest joints on earth,
A Kentuckian walking the vale of the Elkhorn in my deer-skin
leggings, a Louisianian or Georgian,
A boatman over lakes or bays or along coasts, a Hoosier,
Badger, Buck-eye;
At home on Kanadian snow-shoes or up in the bush, or with
fishermen off Newfoundland,

For more info on Georgetown see http:// http://www.georgetownky.com/

Lexington is the home of the Universiy of Kentucky, a state university of about 23,000 students. The surrounding area is famous for horses, especially thoroughbred race horses. The town is mostly white collar and service-oriented as far as the major employers. Besides the University, there are several private hospitals and LexMark, which manufactures computer printers at the site of the old IBM factory where typewriters used to be built. Also in Lexington is the Keeneland Racetrack where horses are raced and auctioned. The Keeneland spring season is going on currently. Yesterday one of the races was aired on ESPN-2, the Coolmore Lexington Stakes. I was at Keeneland yesterday, and had uncharacteristic good luck: I won $130 on a six dollar trifecta bet!

I am a resident in Radiation Oncology at the University of Kentucky Hospital - Markey Cancer Center, which serves not only Lexington and the surrounding area, but also the entire eastern half of the state.