ewein,

I am, I believe, a fairly neutral member of this grand conflict, considering members on both sides my friends, but I do agree that it is rather inappropriate for you to jump into a conversation of this matter with little to no prior knowledge of the events that caused it. It is my understanding that the arguments began in private quite a while ago as a series of minor disagreements that grew out of proportion. The blame is on neither side entirely, but I think it is telling that so many have been set off by one member. All of the people here, on both sides, are very nice, caring people who are passionate about one thing: words. Often we become so particular about the specific meanings of words that they can, when used carelessly, can become the crux of a heated argument.

Again, ewein, it is unfortunate that you would choose to join us on such a controversial issue, but I think I can speak for everyone in saying that we are always welcoming to new people who will offer their knowledge and unique perspectives on the subjects of words, language, literature and world culture, topics that created and grew the rich environment that we now try to enjoy.