there is a rather strict social taboo in many societies against canablism. and most state laws don't out right ban it (it's so unthinkable!)but there are many laws concerning treatment of bodies, and how human bodies must be accorded respect, etc. the social taboo is rather strict. Member of the Donner family have changed their names!-- 150 years later they are still well known.

there are some real biological reason to abstain from canabalism, Kirku, (i'll check the spelling and come back and edit if needed) is a brain disease in human, first found in a south pacific tribe that practiced canabalism.. it is a human form of what is common called Mad Cow Diseease, which is just one of a collection of trasmitable Spongiform ensephelitis.. (TSE)-- mad cow is Bovine SE, or BSE. BSE became an issue because "high protein" cow feeds were made up off cow and other animals (notable sheep)sheep, what is it with sheep on this board!, forcing normal grass eaters to become canablistict.

this canabalism spread the disease rapidly.

TSE's are a very interesting subject, i used to follow closely, but as late, almost all the web site i know tracking BSE in the UK have shut down. there is tons of info out there, (i haven't had a chance to look, of late.)

there are other diseases that can be spread the same way.

some reptiles, especially croc's and gator's do it, but its is uncommon among higher level animals.. even lions, that will kill cub in a pride that they did not sire, do not eat the cubs.

(and unless you ate jimmy hoffa years ago, when he was fresh meat, you win the prize for most disgusting food!)