>Several things. There's Shrek farting in the mud hole, there's magic (this particular family is very conservatively religious), there are mythical creatures, there's torture (of the gingerbread man). Sure, it seems silly to me, but I don't want to argue with another parent about it, especially when they've been nice enough to let their kid come to my kids' birthday party.

There must lie a great UK/US divide. I can't think of a single person that I have ever known who would object to any of those things. Farting, for example, is an essential (some would say the main) part of British humour.

I'd heard that some people objected to Harry Potter but at first I thought that it must be a joke. We just don't have a vocal conservative Christian right wing. I think that the only issue that I am really aware of is abortion. There has been quite a stink recently about a school which was caught teaching creationism and most of the newspapers ran articles trying to explain what creationism is (I've had to explain it to several people). The head of the school was on the radio this morning explaining that it was included as part of a religion course where several different religious views were discussed and no, it wasn't taught as part of the science curriculum as had been suggested, a teacher merely discussed it in class when he was asked a direct question. The coverage has been interesting. It seems to be a widely held view in the press that anyone who doesn't believe in Darwinism should be locked up and the key thrown away - a different kind of religious intolerance, I suppose.