Bill,

I don't know the exact situation regarding MT in schools. I used to read up on book banning and censorship, but my knowledge is not current and my memory is very hazy.

I guess I think that people should have some say over what their kids read. I'm pretty liberal in what I share with my own kids. Heck, I read 100 Secret Senses with the F word and all that in it to mine. I allow my kids to curse (with some modest restrictions like they can't cuss in public) and the very first movie I took my youngest to (at 4 yo) was rated R (something like "the last dragon" with Sean Connery as the voice of the dragon). But it's exactly because I want (demand) the right to raise my kids according to my own conscience, that I believe that other parents should have the same right. For those people who really do find MT offensive, I think schools should make allowance for it. I don't agree with their assessment of MT and don't for one second believe the book is racist. Rather, he's portraying a racist society. We know this because we've actually read it.

I try not to make any judgement at all of those other parents' choices and hope that they will extend me the same courtesy. Rather than try to foist my opinions (that every kid should get a healthy dose of MT, for example) on these others, I would like a school that would accomodate these other parents. And I really think it would be easy to do, if we would try to be a little patient with each other. No need to draw lines in the sand. To the maximum extent possible, I think we should try to facilitate instead of mandate.

Now, if the books have actually been removed from a school library, that's very different. Even if MT's writings were racist, they would still belong in the libraries. Song of Hiawatha is certainly racist. (And if I remember, the one about the village smithy was antisemitic.) Kipling was absolutely a racist. And no school library should be without Longfellow or Kipling.

In a more modern case, I think Harry Potter is a great story for kids to read, even in class (particularly in class). But I know some parents think it teaches the occult and for them I think provisions should be made. Regardless of whether some parents are offended, HP should be in the school libraries.

There's a difference between what kids should be required to read and what should be available to all kids in the school or public library. Now I'm an atheist. I don't care what other people believe, but I know what I believe. I wouldn't mind a teacher, say, using the bible in a class, but if they started preaching or something I'd get irritated pretty quickly. Nevertheless, I'd be somewhat surprised (and would make loud complaint) if there were no bibles in my kids' school library.

Probably this subject is a YART, but I'm not aware it's been discussed since I've been here.

To summarize, I agree with you about MT. He should be in every public school library. And he should be read by all kids. He does have some works that no one should find offensive. I think even his "offensive" works are not racist and would hope every kid would get a taste of them. But I wouldn't want to force any kid to do something against his parents' wishes.

k