I guess I don't think most Americans have actually read that much Twain. Read or heard about, yes. Actually read the words of, I don't think so. Most kids are going to read what's required in school, if that. I've read some Twain, but was never required to read it in any class. Mind you, he was mention in many classes. But we never read any.

I read Twain at school when I was fourteen and was absolutely flummoxed by the dialect. After watching several several films and series about Huckleberry Finn I was aware of the story but the book opened my eyes to a whole new language. For a school text it was very long and quite unusual given its irrelevance to our society but I ploughed through it regardless. That's twenty years ago now and I can remember little of the content but there are two words that appear on the first page that fascinated me from the moment I saw them and they are forever embedded in my mind. Sugar Hogsheads. I just loved them. I was surprised when I discovered their true meaning but I never did find out how it came about.

Twain's writing is truly American but that's where the fascination lies with me - that the writing is in a familar language but a completely different style and culture than anything I have ever read. A few years ago I bought his collection of short stories and was pleasantly surprised that they are far more readable and entertaining than his novels. Sharply humourous too, which is what I like.