I heard a piece on the news this morning about a group of scientists that has been under contract to the Defense Department since WWII known as the Jasons. They are an independent organization and have always chosen their own members, but when the current administration was unhappy with their recent output and tried to force some new members into the group, the Jasons resisted, and subsequently, their contract was terminated (Gotta love the gov't's recent approach to things they don't like -- they eliminate them. Straighten up there, Canada -- we've been watching you since that whole hockey thing).

Anyway, the thing that interested me most was the name of the group -- where did it come from? First I assumed it was a reference to the Greek myth (the guy with the Argonauts), but I couldn't think of any connection between him and this group of advisors. Then I thought maybe it was an acronym -- the military loves them. Maybe Joint Armed Services... Nothing. Besides, a real military acronym would be longer -- JACOMMSUBCINCPACCONNINTCOMM or something. Well, thankfully the origin of the name was revealed at the end of the story. Not the Golden Fleece guy at all, but an acronym after all. It seems the original contract for the group was for the months of July, August, September, October and November. I guess they should be happy they're not the Jfmams.