we do tend to look the other way when we should be vigilant. On the other hand, we're often afraid of being busy bodies...

How true! I have a chum who has a thyroid condition which requires taking daily pill ... because her job as a flight attendent has her in different time zones she wonders should she take the pill on home time or in the morning time wherever she is ? Result, she often skips the medicine.
But I keep being a busy body!

On the other subject : Every woman I have ever talked to on the subject of childbirth has said she suffered with some type of depression; the depressions ranging from mild to severe.
Too often depression after childbirth is dimissed as a temporary thing which time will take care of.
I understand that - not too long ago - post partum depression was not considered a "real" medical condition... but was taken as a catch-all phrase for any depression following childbirth.
And four boys in five years?! That would put a strain on the body and mind of the healthiest of women.
Probably a good thing I wasn't on the jury ... I would have had trouble with the restrictive choice between guilty or not guilty.