re:one way to insult another person was to tell him you were his grandfather. Both of these seem pretty mild and I wonder if she is sheltering me from the really juicy stuff.

I dunno, i have had sexist managers, younger than me, call me "Young Lady" (in a certain tone of voice..) and let me tell you , it was very clear they were being insulted.

in past years, Blacks, in this country, no matter what there age, where insultingly called "Boy".

if i claim to be your grandfather, i am claiming more prestige, and claiming i should be ranked higher.. (and if i am a street sweeper, or other lowly person,or just younger than you) that could be insulting.

It's no insult to call a char woman "a lady", but in the movie, Mrs. Brown, the court was shocked when Mr. Brown called the queen "Woman!"

words are used to define status, and if i verbal lower your status, i have insulted you!

call a doctor by his first name (HI Dr Bill!) you are informal. but call a doctor Dr. Quack! and you are insulting!

insults vary depending on context. You can be as wise an an owl, or bird brain.. as strong as an ox, or as dumb as one! Except in Animal Farm, i can't think of anywhere, where pigs came out on top!--