"S'adore i sim caid him faite"

Dear Angel,

I've been speaking Irish/Gaelic for 25 years and this is not a Gaelic phrase. Now that doesn't mean that they aren't celtic words. Let me analyse them and let others cross-analyse my conjectures.

S'adore This is too latin to be Gaelic. It looks more like a Norman influence so is probably Middle English akin to Chaucerian English. No Gaelic word combinations contain S'a

i Probably pronounced 'ih' rather than 'eye'. If it refers to the first person singular then it is not Gaelic. In Gaelic there isn't a first person singular! The verbs and grammar do this job. i isn't a Gaelic word. Guess: Welsh?

sim No idea. Possibly Old English. Could be a corruption of the Welsh cym

caid Now we're getting somewhere. caid (cahd) is an Irish word but makes no sense with the other words above. The first real Gaelic word. But it is also an OE and Welsh word.

him Definitely not Gaelic. Germanic. Possibly Anglo-Saxon. Norse?

faite I think this should be pronounced faw-tcha The closest Gaelic word I can think of is fáilte (fawl-tcha) which means 'welcome'. faite could mean something completely different, however.

So we have a highly unusual phrase like something out of Beowulf. Perhaps a few of the words have been mis-spelled or maybe they are not Gaelic but from another celtic language (there are several). Could you contact yoru friend and maybe clarify the spelling? Then I should be able to help you further.

Regards,

Rubrick