The stales family (and just about every other Western Australian family) simply adore Adam Gilchrist.

I had the good fortune to meet him at a testimonial lunch for another WA legend, Tom Moody. Whilst he was signing various bits of paraphenalia for me I said, "I named my youngest son after you". He gave me a long hard look which I read as, "You sad bastard!" To be frank my Adam was not named after him - and I told Gilly so - I just wanted to grab his attention and didn't want him to think of me as just another fawning autograph hunter. Don't think I succeeded!

It's great being a cricket fan in Perth. We live about 4 km from the WACA ground and, because interstate matches are so poorly supported, they let kids in for free and have truckloads of things for them to do. Free parking also - though we should really walk to the ground! Radar speed guns for the kids' bowling, special certificates, autographed posters and plenty of other giveaways. There's always an impromptu kids' "test" match going on on the other side of the boundary fence. It's great - leaves me and my wife to enjoy the delights of the bar for hours at a time! Or just catch a few rays while we listen to the ABC radio commentary on our earphones.

Footy is a similar story. They open the gates at half time so you get to see the second half for nix. This means that we still get to see well over an hours play. Our team (The mighty Fremantle Dockers) always gets a flogging so we console ourselves in the fact that at least we didn't have to pay for it! On the few occassions they do win we walk away happy that we've got a bargain.

stales

PS - anybody want to give me a price on a genuine Aussie one day series cap - worn and signed by Shane Warne.......complete with his sweat stains! Or maybe a bat signed by the back to back victorious WA Sheffield Shield team?

BTW Nameles and faceless people from WA are working behind the scenes to ensure that the fact Gilly was born in NSW is erased from the public record. The history books will show that he was the sandgropers' favourite son! Same with Damien Martyn - the Northern Territory - nah, not possible!