bel

A few I've picked up along the way....

* el Presidente may wish to demonstrate his worldliness by using a knife and fork. This has the benefit of taking the pressure off you re chopsticks etc.

* Two mouthfuls in a row, rest the cutlery on your plate, dab your mouth and make conversation - repeat for the course of the meal.

* When the host picks up his napkin the meal has begun. When he puts it on the table the meal is over. Once any napkin is lifted from the table it should not be replaced until the meal is over. It sits on your chair during a comfort break.

* Be careful admiring any personal possessions of el Pres - he is obliged to give them to you. (My wife and I wound up with a beautiful set of crockery at a friend's chinese restaurant this way - having commented how nice the set was, where did they get it etc!) Edit - This could be misintrepeted - we did not set out to acquire the crockery - so we were the ones that were embarassed when it was given to us. We also knew it would be rude to refuse it - aye yi yi!

* Not talking to the translator is an excellent tip. It's the same when giving a presentation - most people talk to the board or the screen - not the audience.

* Chinese smoke like chimneys. If he lights up in front of you it's a sign that he's comfy in your presence! Even worse (IMHO), when really relaxed he will offer you a smoke. Guess what - you've gotta take it!

* I think a small gift reflecting your culture is in order. You may've seen those dolls and pots in people's offices - handed out by Asian visitors. I'm unsure of the etiquette here - who gives first, how enthusiasticly one receives the gift, is it to be wrapped etc. Maybe have one on standby? This is probably best - if you give first and he hasn't got anything to give you he will have lost face - very bad.

Why not give the embassy a call - the cultural attache will let you know the lot in a heartbeat.

Have fun!

stales