Have to disagree with whoever above said that the movie A Clockwork Orange was better than the book. The book was different to the movie, but, IMHO, much more chilling. Guess it's subjective, huh!

They showed a Kubrick season last year at my local arthouse. It was pretty impossible to get to all of them in two weeks but 2001 in 70mm is impressive no matter what you think of the film!!

I didn't get to see A Clockwork Orange (preferring to see Barry Lyndon with my girlfriend) but the programme blurb mentioned that he was inspired (perhaps not the correct use of this word) by the rape of his wife. The experience must have convinced him to make a far more graphical film.

BTW A Clockwork Orange is one of only three films to have been banned in Ireland by the censor. The other two are Lolita (Also Kubrick) and, more strangely (but not when you think about it) The Life of Brian. All of the bans have since been lifted.

The funny thing is I've seen them several times thanks to cross-channel television!