Invokes a picture which I am sure is at complete odds with present-day reality, esp. given JazzO.'s frightening statements.

I think a carriageway is reserved for what would, in the US, be called a highway. The motorway that I travelled on from Gatwick Airport (about 45 minutes south of London) to London itself seemed nowhere near as developed as freeways in the US. Major freeways here require the clearing of about a 50m wide area so there's room for at least 2 lanes on each side and a media large enough for future expansion. The one in England that I experienced twisted right through towns and had normal connections to smaller roads that condensed 2 lanes of traffic into a roundabout. It was nothing so complex as, but seem rather inefficient compared to the huge "4-leaf clover" on-ramp/off-ramp contructions in the US. But I don't have any experience with any other Brit motorways like the ones CK described.

The careless driving I was referring to was strictly in downtown London where virtually the only vehicles are cabs and buses. I love the Tube When I went to Bath and Winchester, the drivers were much more civil.