> Americans generally are known to be more overtly patriotic than the citizens of most other countries

Right on plutarch.

I'd say the Poms are right up there as well (one guy in my office - a Pom) even has "Land of Hope and Glory" as his mobile's ring tone.

As per the comment above, "flag waver" is a derogatory term here - akin to "bleeding heart", "tree hugger" etc.

Like many Australians I suspect, I don't have a problem with overt displays of patriotism (more's the better I say), but it's not something that we do in Australia. Same with clutching the breast during the anthem or holding a corner of a flag - doesn't happen (there are a few sportspeople that do it, but it's not the rule - we are taught to stand to attention during the anthem. Probably a British 'stiff upper lip' sort of thing).

As has been pointed out previously, many Ozzies don't know ALL the words of the National Anthem. And, if they do, I bet they are unsure how many stars are on the flag. Or how many points there are on the big star - or the little ones for that matter. Or why. As for being able to pick it from the NZ flag when the two are flying side by side......70% maybe.

It's probably a rejection of the British history and aspects of 'the flag' (I've never heard it called anything else). Many these days are not impressed by the presence of the Union Jack. (Not in sufficient quantities to do anything about it I might add......).

Nevertheless we love our country just as much as anybody else - smug in the knowledge that it IS the best place in the world. Everybody else just thinks they've got it good. We know we DO.

stales