do the states in ozzie land work the same way?

I'm not an expert on this topic (having never been married, nor lived in another state) but here's some info I've found:

Marriage in Australia
Before a marriage ceremony can be solemnised the bride and groom must decide where the marriage will occur and whether the ceremony will be a religious or civil event. Both forms of ceremony are recognised as legal marriages by Australian law.

A 'notice of intended marriage' must be completed and lodged with the person who is going to perform the ceremony (proposed celebrant) at least one month, but no more than six months, before the preferred date of marriage. The notice is obtained from the proposed celebrant

The bride and groom must show the proposed celebrant documentary proof that they are 18 years old or older. That proof must be a birth certificate or extract if born in Australia. If the bride or groom were not born in Australia, then the celebrant can accept a valid passport or a citizenship certificate.

The marriageable age in Australia is 18 years for both males and females. Marriage of a person who has attained the age of 16 years but is under 18 years is possible only if the person they are marrying is 18 years or older. In this situation, parental consent and a judge or magistrate's order are required for the minor. Two people under 18 years of age cannot marry each other.

If either party has been married before then that person must show the celebrant proof that they are free to remarry. That proof is usually a decree nisi of dissolution of marriage that has become absolute or a death certificate.

Excerpt from the Western Australian Births, Deaths and Marriages website (emphasis mine). Yes, stales, you sandgropers manage to make this information available better than any other state in our fine land!

So, I guess the answer to your question is that we operate on a National basis here in Ozstralya. How we ever managed to agree on something like this is beyond me, since we can't all agree about things as simple as Daylight Savings Time

Hev

"no longer a stranger..."