well, being knocked out of the competition early has some consolations. -- and i am sure one reason for the small contingent was someone from down under discovered early in the game that getting a drink-- something as simple as a beer! is a big deal in salt lake city.

they seem to have done a good job creating venues, and managing crouds.. but salt lake city is no sydney.. it is not a party town.
---------
i think its interesting that internation speakers talk of US hosting the games.. i see it as Utah hosting the games. most of the funds are state/corporate/donations, not federal funds. We are a united states.. but in some ways, states are still a bit autonomus.

Bean? Bel? talked about local (Canadian state/provience) rules about names changes in marrige, or civil/religious weddings. in US, each state make its own laws about age of consent, and other rules about marriage, and agrees to accept as legal any marriage that is legal in an other state. in old american movies, this gave rise to running off to maryland, to elope. In NY and much of Northeast, you must wait at least 3 day from when you request a marriage licence to when you get married. Maryland lets you get married on the spot.. Lots of other states do, too, but it was the closest.

do the state in ozzie land work the same way?