On Memorial Day weekend (May) of 1999, my first year at Historic Cold Spring Village, they had a traveling tent show of historical import called a Chautauqua. Completely new to me, I learned to my amazement it was a late 19th-early 20th century American (USn) Institution that toured the country presenting an enticing amalgam of music, drama, and political, literary, religious, scientific, philosophical, and humorous oration. Part of the ensemble included a Teddy Roosevelt portrayer, among other historic figures. A truly fascinating and stimulating concept and presentation! It was kind of like that time period's mass media all rolled into one. And it was under the Chautauqua tent that Mark Twain presented and perfected his humorous diatribes. Some say it spawned early Vaudeville, but most would consider any association to Vaudeville an insult to the integrity of what Chautauqua represented to the people of the time. My foremost reaction was, "Why haven't I ever heard about this before? Never in school, never in a history book, not even a mention. Chautauqua was so important and influential a feature in the formative process of that time in our nation's history, why is it not taught about?" I'm well-familiar with Vaudeville, having been involved with show-business...but even in that circle there was never any mention of the earlier Chautauqua. And I'm a history buff, I suck everything up...so why it took decades of my life to discover this unique and intriguing facet of our history is beyond me. So for those of you who are lucky enough to come across this info at a younger age, delve your curiosities into the fascinating history of Chautauqua...which began on the banks of Chautauqua Lake, of Angel's mention, in southwestern New York. Here's a couple of links that give capsule histories. I can't locate my papers on this offhand, but when I do I'll come back with any more intriguing facts I might recall. And, of course, there is a current movement of recreating these traveling Chautauqua,
so if you see one come around, by all means catch it!

http://archive.ncsa.uiuc.edu/alliance/chautauqua/History.html

http://www.prairie.org/chacha/hartchahist.html