To be honest, I don't see why she would be in such a snit about translating.

If her book is to be sold in France or Spain won't it be translated into French and Spanish. Ah, I can see it now, everybody nodding and saying, "of course, it's a different language."

Now, look back over all the time you have been on this Board. It is an undeniable fact that English can vary greatly from one continent to an other. So it is English - but an English different enough to make certain passages of her book unintelligible.

"Look it up," she says. Well, doesn't it follow that she would look it up in an England/English dictionary whereas the reader would look it up in an American/English dictionary and therefore might not get the same definition.

If she would not bat an eye at a French translation I think it is plainly antagonistic not to translate it to American English, or NZ or Australian English for that matter. The markets are big enough.

You cannot argue "creative stifling" Her creativity is being negated by the fact that the Americans don't know what she is saying. You can't appreciate something you don't understand.

The reaction is that of a spoiled writer, crossing her arms and saying "we speak the correct English, you guys just better tow the line and get an education" (as seen in her LIU quote). But it is not the correct English - just a different one.

Let her book sales die in the Americas and then she if she hums the same tune.

I believe the same holds true for American, and any other, writers. They should consider the markets they sell to and translate accordingly.