I have trouble imagining a mechanism for regulating nasty PMs that would not compromise the implied privacy of the medium. While the publication of what one felt objectionable would allow the rest of us to determine for ourselves whether we think that categorization appropriate, the originator of the PM could easily object to the public display of what was intended as constructive criticism. I have had misunderstandings with more than one member of this community; it is an occupational hazard of being a Fool. We have generally worked out mutual understanding through PMs but if one of those those PM volleys had gone awry I would not want them broadcast to the community at large. There is one (at least) member of this community that some may feel should be shielded from abuse that I have treated without kid gloves. I honestly believe from the public reactions of this individual as well as through PMs that the person not only does not mind, but appreciates being treated in this manner. Sometimes being pitied can be the worst abuse of all.

I think my point here is that I would find publication (or at least attributed publication) of Private Messages more objectionable than the loss of members of the community. And even if we did encourage publication of Private Messages, would we vote on whether the offended person should leave because of the offense? People who are here for the purpose of being objectionable are not likely to leave for being exposed as being objectionable; we would all know that the person was objectionable anyway. The only consequence I can see resulting from a policy of publishing PMs would be the holding up to ridicule of those who are trying to offer helpful advice.