Thanks Bingley. I kept meaning to post something about this, but never found the time to do it when I remembered and forgot when I did have the time. Indeed, as you suggest, Draco's code was quite benign - not a lot of laws, really - but the punishment for contravening them was severe. The consequences are called draconian, not the laws themselves. For instance, the new terrorism laws in Britain are not at all draconian, i.e. they are, in theory, not something the average citizen has to go about in fear of breaking. But the consequences of breaking them (or being in contravention of them) are indeed draconian - indefinite imprisonment without trial and with only a very small and inadequate set of safeguards to ensure that the imposition of this penalty is not continuously abused.

In terms of the draconian abuse of human rights, the Head Prefect and his cabinet of fifth form plonkers have excelled themselves in this instance. Still, he'll probably get full marks and a pat on the back from Headmaster Bush as well as an assured A-level in right-wing Labour politics!

The idiot also known as Capfka ...