> I haven't seen LotR yet - but will do so just as soon as I've re-read the book (last time was 1973!)

Saw the flick today and thought it was awesome. Not having read the book for 28 years I'd forgotten all the ins and outs and thus saw it pretty much as a "cleanskin" cinema goer. My wife and 2 sons (12 & 10) had not read it either - but were all blown out of the water.

We were wondering whether the hobbits and dwarves were really that small - so thanks for the post above that said it was a blue screen thing.

For the record, my 10 year old liked the underground ("mine") scenes best - the FX, the characters and the images - like I said - awesome.

As well as the cleanskin stales' tribe, we went with LotR addict friends - she has read the books nine times. Said afterwards that the scenes were exactly how she'd envisaged them over the years - and the "actualisation" of her mental images had brought tears to eyes several times. She was scathing about Frodo's rescue by the fair maiden and the Arwen relationship "thing" but was prepared to put up with both as a small sacrifice to the overall outcome.

My sons hit the nail on the head - they said that this was the best movie they'd ever seen and that it was the first one they'd ever seen that that they wanted to see again straight away.

stales