Sparteye:

You could use either emeritus or emeriti after the words Chief Judges. Emeritus is the nominative case singular, while emeriti is the plural in the nominative case.

Latin is an inflected language, which means that the same word has different endings depending upon where it goes in the sentence and how other parts of speech are acting upon and with it.

The nominative case is in essence the subject of a sentence. I throw the ball. the word "I" would be in the nominate case (ego) if you translated the sentence into Latin. It would be something like this: Ego bolum jaco. I am going back 40 years here, so I might be wrong, but I think throw in Latin is jaco, jacere, jacti, jactus. When you are "defining" a verb in Latin, you give the first person singular present tense, jaco, the infinitive "to throw" jacere, the first person past hmm participle (I am thrown) or jacti, and a future tense of some kind, jactus, which means "I will be thrown" or something like that. Some Latin scholar is going to correct me on this, but I think it's pretty close.

Bolum, if I remember correctly, is the accusative case singular for bola.

But the more or less nonsense sentence "The farmer throws me" would come out something like "Agricola meum jacat." Meum may not be the first person singular accusative for ego, but I'm only trying to show that the object of the sentence has a different form than the subject. Just as it does in English as a matter of fact. But much of English is not inflected.

If the farmer is wrestling the sailor, it would be "the farmer throws the sailor" or "the sailor throws the farmer." It's almost all positional. In Latin it would be "agrocola nautam jacat" or "nauta agricolam jacat." But you can take the same sentences and put the words in ANY order in Latin and still know what it says, because position is unimportant. Not totally unimportant, except in simple sentences like this.

Getting back to Chief Judges emeritus vs. Chief Judges emeriti, they both mean retired chief judges. It's my lay view that emeriti is slightly hoi aristoi and that most people would use emeritus, since we do not use inflection in any significant way.

TEd

TEd