>I went to the collapsed threads view for the first time ...

I do three things that help and I don't have too much of a problem.

(1) I get the e-mail summaries mailed to me every day for the main sections. I can skim through those in no time and get the gist of what is going on. I know that it jumps around a bit between threads but it is at least sequential and especially good for spotting posts which sink from the first page within a day. If I don't have time to read them then I just delete them and hope to catch up another day. I rarely have the time to go through days and days of posts.
(2) Replies are e-mailed to me and I can always open then (in collapsed mode) from my e-mail inbox as described by WhitmanO'Neill.
(2) I run collapsed mode, so threads always open quickly. I then use the icon at the top to convert to flat mode, so I can read all the entries quickly - this is sometimes the slowest bit but since I set the view number at 99, at least it doesn't open up in multiple pages any more so that I have to use a another step to click "show all" as I used to do.

Since I've had ADSL it has been generally fast with the odd slow day. I tend to clear my off line content and have reduced my history to keep pages for 0 days to stop my cache getting overloaded.

Jo