Wordwind asked for: The machine that shows the contractions when you're giving birth?

and doc_comfort answered: A CTG (cardiotocograph) machine. Measures the baby's heart (cardio) and the mother's contractions (toco).

I merely added the extraneous blather: I remember when my daughter was born that the machine was informally called "the monitor," as in "Um, nurse? Could you stop the monitor from making that incessant beeping?"


Then Wordwind said:
Dear Flatlander:

Thanks for two terrific words: cardiotocograph and cardiotocogram.

Alas, the $0.25 words were courtesy of a far more medically oriented AWADer than I -- real thanks go to doc_comfort. I should have made it more obvious that I was (as usual) standing on the shoulders of a greengiant.