ah the bit i heard was, the turks where defeted because the planned invations was foiled by the early rising bakers..who realized the turks where invading the city in the dead of night. the bakers raised the alarm and roused the city and the army. so it is fitting that bread is used to comemorate the battle.

actually, this is very close to being very politacal. for many moslems, this battle is part of a turning point-- it marks a time when they began to lose their place in the modern world.. this battle lost, the french in eygpt, and they were unable to roust the french.. it was the english who finally did.. but now a once proud people, made into colonies of the european powers they saw them selves in opposition too.. from the moslem point of view, there is a direct line from the battle for vienna, to the WTC destruction. i don't want to be in the position of treating moslems as enemies, but i have been trying to learn why it is they hate me, so very, very much.. i don't agree with them, and the current leaders play pick and chose with the facts to arive at why we are the great satan.. but i am beginning to have some understanding.