>From the description of "hurling" above, I would say that curling is not at all like it.

Yes Bean, you are absolutely right. For some reason I'd thought that hurling was played on ice. From the details below it sounds more like Quiddich (all it needs is a few broomsticks and a snitch)!

The team
Each team consists of 15 players and a number of substitutes Three substitutes can be used during one match. A team is lined up like this:
1 goalkeeper
6 defenders
2 midfielders
6 forwards
The equipment The players use a hurley to strike ( or carry) the ball. ... It's made of ash wood and the end of the stick (called the bas) cannot be more than 13 cm at the widest point. The average length of a hurley is 91,5 cm.

Players are adviced to use helmets (gee, i wonder why?) but it is not compulsory. The ball is known as a sliotar, its outer coating is leather and the inside contains mainly cork, this makes the sliotar very hard, the circumference should be between 23 and 25 cm and it should weigh between 100 an 130 g.

The game
A match consists of two 30 minute halves in league matches and two 35 minute halves in championship matches.
The field is 130 to 145 meters long and 80 to 90 meters wide with goal posts at either end. The goals are shaped like an "H". A point is scored if the ball goes between the bars and over the crossbar and a goal (which is 3 points) are scored if the ball passes between the goalposts under the crossbar and of course the goalkeeper. The sliotar can be carried in the hand up to four steps or during the entire match on the end of the hurley. (which would make the game a bit boring......?!........i will not go further into this..)

It can be passed by kicking, hitting it with the hurley or by passing it with the hand. (To pass the sliotar with your hand you'll have to strike it with your hand open). The sliotar can be struck with the hurley while in the air or on the ground (now..who wouldn't wear some kind of headgear!!!!!!! No wonder why the vikings had such an easy match when they came over there "some" years ago) A player may side charge another player, providing the player committing the tackle, has one foot on the ground. A player can only side charge another if the charged one is playing or possessing the sliotar.

A goalkeeper cannot be tackled inside their square, but outside you might say that he or she is begging for it. (Women also play this game!!!! But then its called Camogie)

If the sliotar goes out over the sideline the referee will reward a sideline puck. There is no off-side rule, so the ability to hit the sliotar great distanses with accuracy is of some importance. If it goes over the end line first hitting one of the defending players, a 65 meter free puck is awarded, a attacking player will then take a free puck 65 meters from the goal. Big stick, small ball,large field and wicked goalies calls for skills, This is the fastest land sport in the world!!

http://www.hurling.f2s.com/game.html