Guising is the word used by children in Edinburgh, always guising, never "trick or treating".

Reading a discussion of Halloween in another thread, I noticed mention of its ancient origins. I have been having a discussion with a neighbour for a while. It seems that observance of the tradition is quite recent in some areas. I grew up in Lancashire which has a large Irish population and where the Pendle witches were part of local folklore http://members.aol.com/NutterWV1/PENDLE.htm, so as children, we always dressed up, ducked for apples and went "trick or treating" with costumes and a large stuffed "Guy" not only for sweets but for money (largely frowned on now that people recognise the danger of children setting off their own fireworks) to help pay for the fireworks for bonfire night on the 5th, the two events were interconnected. We made our lanterns (I've just remembered that they were made from swedes or turnips)), on Halloween and took them with us to the bonfire night parties on the 5th. In other parts of England, certainly amongst friends of mine living further south or maybe without a large Irish population, there doesn't seem to be much history of the celebration of Halloween, so although the origins of the event are undoubtably ancient, it has grown greatly in recent years.