Here I shall show my complete confusion/ignorance of this matter but I have a few questions that you can perhaps answer.

Here is the note tsuwm sent us to (sorry to take up so much space but my questions relate to some things that are written):

An event horizon is the outer edge of a Black Hole--a region of space where gravity is so strong that nothing, not even light, can escape. Nobody really knows what is beyond the event horizon of a black hole; there are only theories.

Most scientists agree that any bold space traveler who sailed beyond an event horizon would be sucked into the black hole's "singularity," a point of infinite density and curvature of space-time where the laws of physics as we know them no longer apply. Some astrophysicists, such as Kip Thorne at the California Institute of Technology, postulate that, in special cases (such as in a rotating black hole), these singularties could be utilized as portals into other areas of our universe, or even other universes. The possibilities are truly infinite.[/]

Here goes....

a) if the hole is just blackness how do they know that there is light in there that is not escaping? If there is no light seeping out maybe there is no light at all.

b) how do they know the laws of physics do not apply inside black holes? No one or no probe has ever been in there to send back info.

c) if there are places where the laws of physics do not apply can they really be called laws?

d) how do they know the inside of a black hole is infinitely dense - again, we've never been and it could be something else completely PLUS if something is infinitely dense doesn't it follow that nothing could be sucked into it since well, it's too dense and there is no place.

e) Portals into other universes???? It sounds exotic, and wouldn't it be nice, but how did they come up with that?

I mean, why would they assume the far end of a black hole is not occuping same area of the universe as the near end?
For example, if I cross the St Hypolite tunnel in Montreal Québec, I go from Montreal to Longueuil in Québec, Canada. I don't wind up in China.

Why is that assumption being championed by so many scientists? Is it wishful thinking? Or does it have as much validity as someone advancing the theory that when someone goes through a black hole they come out being born on the other side as a new baby.