Cottage it is then. It sounds very homey - which the cottage was. Actually, it was quite roomy...

Sounds a lot like my grandparents cottage. Three bedrooms, living room/dining room and kitchen in an "L" shape, and a bathroom, laundry room. It's amazing how roomy they can be even when by city standards they're small. I suppose having all the outdoors also added to it, being an extra room. My grandfather did a lot of work on the place through the years, adding split log steps down to the lake, and garden. I was too young to remember the changes - only the end result. But I've been told about them often enough. My grandparents probably would have stayed there all year if it didn't get quite so *cold*. ;-) A ton of insulation wasn't one of the upgrades, and besides, the water got pumped up from the lake and filtered. The whole contraption would have froze along with the lake and burst if not drained for the winter.

One of the things I remember best was the huge barrel of wood blocks which were the main entertainment for any kids over - the tv never really picked anything up on the antenna. Then there was smell of the pine trees, and one year being there in time for the trilliums blooming in the woods - a wide carpet of them. Very beautiful.

The water freaked me out. I loved to swim, but not the little fishes nipping. ;-)

Ali