<<IP's main original point:

I value this group of people--the forum in general, the opportunity to exchange ideas and talk about language, a number of friendships here. Nerves have been frayed. In the interest of maintaining the quality of *other threads, I thought--given the extraordinary circumstances--it might be good to have a thread in which to discuss certain issues that had been arising in various threads in another place. The main point was to preserve the quality of the discussions in those *other threads and thereby protect the forum as a whole.

The next sentence is meant to clarify my own position, only, and is not otherwise directed at any member, either in support or in scolding (neither of which I consider to have a place here). I do not consider points of housekeeping beyond the legitimate scope of members' concerns nor do I consider myself qualified to offer any but my own opinion what might or might not qualify as a legitimate concern in this forum.

There are those here with whom I've had differences of one sort or another. There is *not *one here whose presence I do not value.

Tsuwm, I respectfully disagree. The last week has been so entirely out of the ordinary that talking about events cannot constitute talking about the day-to-day. That said, as to my own contributions I do understand that concentration on the Topic can have been disturbing, and my thanks--and implicit requests for indulgence (or visa versa?)--have been genuine. It has required a lot to think about anything *other than what happened here and transformed the neighborhood where I live. I have tried to restrict my remarks to designated threads.

I really don't think the board is lost. The membership responded to a crisis in many important ways. I don't think anyone has lost their interest in language or their acuity.

For myself, I had planned never to post here again. Someone wrote me at my regular email address and asked me to assure the community here I was well. I was touched by their concern and I am very glad for the friendship I have found here, and found here again.

Since it was meant as a pressure valve, I hope this thread dies quickly from lack need.