But everyone's feelings on this subject, with the exception of a very small minority in a very few places, are, I think, exactly the same.

I wish it were true - that it was only a "very small minority" but I'm afraid there's a big world of freedom-haters out there and like it or not, that number is growing.

Here in Israel, we were blasted with pictures of palestinians dancing in the streets, giving out candy and generally celebrating the death and destruction. A lot of this happened on the eastern side of Jerusalem, but much was also seen throughout the Arab & Islamic world. In Pakistan, even as some members of the government were on CNN denouncing the attack, others in the government were praising it!

The fall-out from these horrible 'celebrations' was the threatening of journalists who dared to publish the photos. The local AP bureau succumbed to the threats and subsequently refused to publish the photos we know were taken and which were initally shown on Israel TV. Journalists from Israel TV tried to change their minds to no avail.

A related question to see if anyone out there is up on history and precedent:
Was Sept 11, 2001 the FIRST time four airplanes were hijacked simultaneously by terrorists? If not, name the date and specifics surrounding the event and who was the mastermind behind it then (and perhaps now?).

Shoshannah

suzanne pomeranz, tourism consultant jerusalem, israel - suztours@gmail.com