Ugh, I don't like that idea Max. I don't choose to be ill and do not go about shopping for sicknesses so I am definitely not a client.

Patient is the perfect word because
a) it IS the defination of someone needing medical attention
and
b) in most of today's hospitals you have to be patient to get that attention.

[beware, rant following]
Seriously, does it really make a difference. Things aren't always 'nicey-nice'. Why has it become wrong to say handicapped? It became "disabled" at one point and now has moved on to "differently-abled". In all honesty, a person in a wheelchair is not treated differently because he is now differently-abled instead of being handicapped. If you are prejudiced you will be prejudiced no matter what.

A friend of mine has been handicapped since childhood and he refers to himself as such. The people he knows also refer to themselves as such (yes I asked him).

I understand what people are trying to do...by taking away the word to which a certain stigma is attached people hope the stigma will be erased...but it doesn't work that way.

And it ticks me off that I can't say someone is "special" anymore. What is he, mentally handicapped, physically handicapped, emotionally handicapped or just a really great guy. Grrr.
[end rant]

EDIT: All right, I'm calm now. I have to admit that maybe it's a cultural thing. In French Québec we don't have euphemisms like those and I guess I just don't understand the use for them.