bingley, they are wonderful, all of the kreigers photo essays.

the first image, "actors guild and church office"--Casting call i think it is captioned, is "the little church around the corner" a NY landmark.

in the 1870's(? about) an actor died, and when his friends went to arrange a funeral, the church on 5th avenue, (even then a posh address) refused, actors were "disreptable" . the pastor suggested--"try the little church around the corner" the little church around the corner was happy to provide a funeral service, and since then, it has been called that, and has been a haven to all actors and performers. they often have concert series, and several years ago, i went to Vivaldi's four seasons there. I don't work in the area any more, and since i always knew about things going on by reading the church sign, i have lost track. (i think it is the church of the transfiguration, but i could be wrong, and i don't remember what group.)

"mass appeal" is St Bart's. -- i eaten lunch in their garden. St Bart's has also made appearences in a few movies. it is on Park Avenue, and has an important place in NY politics. it sold its "air rights" .

NY zoning has set back requirements, so that the tall buildings don't block too much sun (this is why the WTC site is so large, to have such tall buildings, they had to also have a large Plaza-- unbuilt up) St Barts sold its air rights, and now, the lot it sits on, can never have a building taller than 7 or so stories, the building, next door that bought them, got to build a taller structure than would otherwise be allowed. St barts used the money to build a maintenence fund, since most of its parish population has moved away.

it now serves the business community, and to attract them, it has its little cafe.
St barts had been under great pressure to sell its land, since it was so valuable. by selling the air rights, they have "sold" the valuable part, and have they "wealth" that was tied to the value of the land as income.

does any one else recognize any of the church's pictured? i think "our lady of Hells Angels" is NY too, it looks like a NY style street sign, but i don't recognize the church.