>>. I think most educational institutions prefer now that you actually learn something rather than simply memorize it

aagh! i think memorizing it a way of learning.. and i also think that learning how to memorize something is also an important part of learning.. I didn't alway value the things i was made to memorize, until, years later, as i regurgitated, them, heard the words.

there is a roman philosopher who claimed you could never stand enter the same river twice, be the river flowed, there was always new water.

when you memeorize something, you don't mindlessly regurgatate. you have it with you, and as you change, the words change..

you're still a bit young, but go back and watch some movie you thought great 5 years ago.. something you watched as you entered HS, and see if you enjoy the movie as much, (you might), but also see if you think or feel the same way about the story. see how your own perceptions have changed.

I added the URL, because my memory was imperfect. i couldn't go past the line i ended at, (and there were a few errors, corrected before that.) but the words move me. and my reaction to the words changes with time.

if you went through 12 years of school with out being required to memorize anything, i feel sad for you. you missed learning a vital tool. you can still learn it, but it will takes some years of practice to master.