I have not noticed a single occurrence of metric units in the UK version, much to my surprise.

Why the surprise? The UK hardly uses metric measurements in everyday speech much at all.

You see, that's precisely it. They teach us in schools that all of Erupoe, no all the modern world other than the US use metric exclusively. We are given the impression that we're the only educated group left on the planet who still uses that 'backward' imperial system. I thought it was common knowledge that everyone not from the United States used metric units.

emanuela recently sent me a postcard of her town. She mentioned someting 50 meters to the left. This seemed to provide reasonable evidence that Italians use metric units. I didn't realize that there was any reason to believe that UK did otherwise.

When maverick gave me the cost for shipping the books, he told me the price in US dollars, but the weight in kilos, also supporting my belief that SI was the common system of measure.

Never having had the opportunity to travel off the continent, I didn't realize that you use both. All I know of the world outside this continent is what I've read or what I've seen in some other form of media. The scientific works conform to my expectations. Most of the nature shows and documentaries Ive seen from UK use kilometers, kilograms, etc. also providing evidence that SI is the prefered system. The fiction seems to have been edited to shelter me from anything that might enlighten (or confuse).

This is why that when I saw a British edition of a book that used imperial units I was confused. I've never had reason to expect otherwise.