a US dollar bill is 6 inches long (actually 6 1/8 inches) but close enough for a rough measurment.
as for
which are the correct measures for ergonomic pieces of furniture --
until human come in one size-- how can any one size be ergnomic?
my parents are very short-- (Father 5.1, mother 5.2)-- and they often had problems buying furnature. Dining room chairs were often too high for them.. and couches were too deep..

of course, those of us who are normal sizes (or at least normal height) found their furniture way too low, and too shallow.. My favorite chair as child was our wing chair-- i didn't feel like my knees were in my chin when i sat in it.. my mother hated that chair-- when she sat in it, her feet didn't touch the floor!

the japanese, seem to have mastered small living spaces.. and one trick they sometimes use, is high ceilings..

big spaces, with low ceiling seem cramped. -- the NYC subway has some.. ceiling heights of just over 2 meters, so that very tall people feel they have to crouch. and even though there is a lot of area, the low ceiling is very uncomfortable.. even for me, and i am in no danger of hitting my head on the ceiling.