>Apparently once an unmarried woman reaches a certain age she is called Madame out of respect, whether or not she is married. The impression she was given was - we've waited all this time for you to get married, so now we've given up on you and given you the title anyway!

Here in Spain is the same with señorita and señora but I’m remembering an anecdote of a friend of mine that what just the contrary of what you have told.
She, who is 50 unmarried but not single, was asked by a clerk: “Señora o señorita?” and she was offended by the question and answered “I’m of an age and got category enough to be called señora!”.
The problem lies on the necessity of some societies of marking women depending their marital status or age. It could be considered as a mark of availability señorita/mademoiselle if she is available or señora/madam if she has “owner”. Since men are always available such distinction isn’t necessary.
I’m puzzled by not finding a stronger movement against those kind of distinctions that seem to me completely derogatory.

>If I am asked for a title I say Ms. I have been a Ms. since I was 13 or 14, I suppose. I decided I didn't want to be a Miss any longer. I retained my original name on marriage, as did many of my friends. I am the final member of a large family. I thought I might as well let the name die with me, rather than discarding it on marriage.

Another thing I cannot understand is how in most countries women lose their names after marriage. Here not only they keep their names but we have a new law that give the parents the right to choose which name, mother’s or father’s, will be inherited by their children. If we have had this law twelve years ago I would have chosen my wife’s name for my sons.

Juan Maria.