I've never understood why the British don't celebrate 4 July as much as the Americans

Who says we don't? But with the British being so reserved it is very difficult to know when we are celebrating. Maybe an extra sugar lump in our 4 o'clock tea, and an extra 1/2" of hankerchief showing in our breast pocket. None of this over the top stuff for us. But I hope you all had a good one.

On writings, yesterday I came across a mention of Richard Price and a very long title of a book suporting the American Independence yesterday. (In a book on the history of Risk Management!)
Edit The title is "Observations on the Importance of the American Revolution and the Means of Making it a Benefit to the World". So, did we manage the second bit yet?End Edit
I googled and didn't find it but I did find this by him, which although a bit later, captures the mood:
"Why are the nations of the world so patient under despotism? Why do they crouch to tyrants, and submit to be treated as if they were a herd of cattle? Is it not because they are kept in darkness, and want knowledge? Enlighten them and you will elevate them. Shew them they are men, and they will act like men. Give them just ideas of civil government, and let them know that it is an expedient for gaining protection against injury and defending their rights, and it will be impossible for them to submit to governments which, like most of those now in the world, are usurpation's on the rights of men, and little better than contrivances for enabling the few to oppress the many." Richard Price, November 4, 1789 from A Discourse On The Love of Our Country.

Rod